Monday, December 04, 2017

Monday 4th December 2017.....Border issues!!!!

If you look back at my blog from last Saturday and read about the problems I had at the border...this is a follow up...

SO I PARKED DOWNTOWN AND READY TO CROSS THE BORDER I HAVE ALL MY DOCUMENTATION AND THE REQUIRED COPIES...  I CROSS THE BORDER AND WENT TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE JUST AS I DID WHEN I CAME THROUGH IN JUNE...HAD ALL MY COPIES AND MY PASSPORT READY AND THE 500 PESOS IN HAND AND THE AGENT PUNCHED MY PASSPORT INTO THE COMPUTER AND THAT IS WHEN THE FUN BEGAN.......I KNOW THE MAN SPOKE ENGLISH BECAUSE I HAD HEARD HIM BUT HE ONLY SPOKE TO ME IN SPANISH WHICH I AGREE WITH AND UNDERSTAND BUT I COULD NOT GET THE GIST OF WHAT HE WAS TELLING ME EXCEPT HE WAS NOT GOING TO LET ME IN TO THE COUNTRY..HE TOLD ME TO TO SIT AND WAIT AND I DID.....EVENTUALLY A WOMAN CAME OUT OF THE OFFICE WHO SPOKE ENGLISH  AND SHE EXPLAINED TO ME THAT IN THEIR RECORDS I HAD A TEMPORARY VISA WHICH HAD EXPIRED AND NOT BEEN CANCELLED...I TOLD HER I DID INDEED APPLY AND WAS GRANTED A TEMP VISA IN 2014 WHICH EXPIRED IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR AND I DID NOT WISH TO RE NEW OR APPLY FOR A PERMANENT VISA AND WANTED TO COME IN ON A TOURIST VISA.... BUT THAT WAS THE PROBLEM  SHE TOLD ME I HAD NOT KNOWN I HAD TO CANCEL THAT PERMIT. AND I DID NOT....I WAITED ANOTHER 20 OR SO MINUTES WHEN SHE AGAIN CAME OUT AND TOLD ME THAT IF I GO TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IN SAN MIGUEL ON MONDAY AND CANCEL MY VISA I WOULD BE ALLOWED INTO THE COUNTRY ON A TOURIST VISA.....OF COURSE I AGREED TO THIS RIGHT AWAY AND THEN THE PROCESS BEGAN AND I WAS ISSUED THE 180 DAY VISA AND WAS ON MY WAY..THE ONLY THING I DID NOT LIKE WAS THE ORIGINAL OFFICER BEFORE I COULD STOP HIM WROTE SOMETHING IN MY PASSPORT UNDER THE STAMP..I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT SAYS BUT I WILL SORT IT OUT ON MONDAY AT THE LOCAL IMMIGRATION OFFICE WHERE ONE OF MY EX STUDENTS IS IN CHARGE(GOOD TO KNOW)....SO IT WAS A BIT OF A SCARE THINKING I WOULD NOT ALLOWED BACK INTO THE COUNTRY...BUT I WAS NEVER RUDE JUST PATIENT AND POLITE AND IT WORKED OUT.....FROM HERE I WALKED ABOUT 5 BLOCKS TO GET MY CAR PERMIT AND THAT WENT THROUGH LIKE CLOCK WORK......SO IT WAS A GOOD JOB I TOOK THE EXTRA DAY TO WALK OVER AND GET THESE PERMITS!!!!

I have a wonderful local lady here who has always assisted when needed with documentation and the Mexican way of doing things and I went to her last week and told her what had happened and showed her my passport, she took copies and told me she would go to the local Immigration office and find out the story.

Well it turns out that once my visa expired in April that was the end of the matter no need for me to have done anything and the immigration officer at the border was totally wrong and she also told me he had no authority to write in my passport...so I can just forget about it but I will confess I spent a nervous hour at the border when I was refused admission...anyway all is well and I am legal and fulfilled my obligations!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!!

6 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Les, I'm going to get a little serious here, and I will explain why after the following statements. The immigration officer your friend spoke with will not be around the next time you attempt to cross the border back into Mexico. The one you need to satisfy is the Mexican border officer looking at his or her computer screen. If at all possible, you (with your friend) need to visit the immigration officer in San Miguel, and using the Pearson charm, ask her kindly, as a favor, to give you something (something that looks official) with his or her signature on it stating that your temporary residency has expired. I'm sorry to say you are not dealing with brain surgeons at the border; they take orders and are not asked to think.

Right now, I'm sure the orders are to randomly make it somewhat difficult for Americans and Canadians to cross, because the powers that be are really pissed; I am so sorry Canadians are caught up in the US/Mexico sparring because you cross that border more often than most US citizens. What the British Prime Minister said a few days ago made me feel better, and I have great admiration for her. She and Parliament were discussing another recent faux pas of the current White House occupant, and she made a statement to US citizens that she had compassion for us, would always be our friend, and that her and Parliament's ire was directed solely to Trump and his administration. If you remember, he lost the votes of the total population by three million votes. My point is that Mexico does not see it that way, and their ire is being taken out on US citizens. Mexico has a very short memory; they forget, for instance, during the Obama administration how many millions of dollars the US gifted Mexico and how many low interest loans (lower interest than I could get) were made to Mexico with a number of extensions when payments could not be made so they would not default. Mexico does not understand that the US can have, shall I say, bumps in the road just like they have had. We just need time to get rid of our "bump;" I would like to call him something a lot worse than that, but I think you get my drift.

When our problems are taken care of, everything at the border will quiet down and go a lot smoother; my local US Senators have been made aware of the random difficulties which were not there before; they are floored at the number of complaints, but know the root problem has to be solved first.

mexicokid said...

You know it is funny you wrote this because that is exactly what I said to my friend, what happens next time? I will take your advice as i know the senior Immigration officer here in town he is an ex student of mine...thanks for the words blessings les

Unknown said...

Good plan Les. Let us know how it works out.

mexicokid said...

will do cheers les

Dee Tillotson said...

Les, I should have known you already had the answer in your head; you really did not need any advice. Just follow your gut instincts!

mexicokid said...

yes always nice to know people out there care thanks lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...