Friday, April 15, 2016

Friday 15th April 2016...sleeping with the stars!!

Not sure when I will be able to post this but let me tell you about the day.....
We did are usual morning game drive just around 8am and Delwin tells me that this really should be the rainy season and there is no rain so he thinks some of the animals are moving further north to where the vegetation is different and more water available but we still manage to see lots of animals...many impala’s, many elephants and buffalo..the occasional giraffe and hippo and lots of birds.
I am learning so much and I am sure Delwin thinks he is a school teacher I ask so many questions but now I am able to tell the calls of elephants, buffalo, lion and hyena and even recognize some of the tracks.....
We came home late almost around noon and for me a quick few walking laps followed by swim laps followed by lunch!!!
Then the 6 of us got everything packed up actually Sonja does an amazing job at the packing and the cooking we just do what she gently tells us.....loaded up the game vehicle with food, drinks and our overnight stuff because we were going to camp out.....how much fun is that.....we drove around 4pm to the shelter for the night, set up camp and got our sleeping gear sorted and then Sonja and Delwin managed to provide this beautiful tender lamb dinner under the stars with the noises of elephant and lion in the distant.
 The bathroom
 the sleeping platform
 Sunset
and a gennet that came to visit!!!
We climbed the steps to the sleeping platform and although it took me a while to go to sleep the joy of hearing those animals, seeing the abundance of stars and just being out in Kruger Park was a thrill I shall always remember.
In the morning Delwin told us from the tracks he saw that hyena had visited us during the night.
Got packed up and were on our way home by 9.30am after a great overnighter.
Later in the morning Carmen, Rose and Dave left to go back home just leaving Sonja, Delwin and myself.
Delwin sat down with me and helped plan my driving rout to Cape Town he is sending me through some out of the way places that he thinks I will be interested in..lots of hikes and nature viewing...he has been such a wonderful help to me.
We then packed up for our 4pm drive and although we did not see too many animals this one was sad for me because it is an Impala that I saw and watched and he has an injured back hind leg and could not walk well and Delwin believes because of this he will be easy prey during the night.


Just after sunset on the dirt track leading back to camp we came across a large herd of elephants with two small young ones....Delwin is very careful around them, gives them lots of space and we stopped and parked about 50 yards away and watched them and then had to turn around so we would not get too close to them.



Sonja produced yet another incredible meal and the three of us sat around the fire eating, talking and listening to the hyenas!!!!
What a 24 hours!!!!
I leave the lodge on Saturday morning and start my drive towards the Cape......I am going through some back roads so if there is no blog every now and then no worries......
Time for me to read the one page on my Kobo I am so tired every evening one page is all I can manage!!

yashi Kochi!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful adventure you are having. Thanks for sharing. Safe travels. Cheers S and P

mexicokid said...

thanks so much L

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...