Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Tuesday 1st July 2014..Camino Day 28!!!!

Happy Canada Day!!!!!!!! This was the best I could do for photos one from the archives!!!!
Wishing all my fabulous Canadian friends a greay happy and safe day!!!!! Remember to say rabbits, rabbits, rabbits for good luck for the month!!!! Yet again a good sleep till 6.30am and was up and packed up with nice sandwiches and cold drinks and out the door by 7am....I must say what a delightful couple Polama and Diego are and they could not have been any nicer to me...opened up their beautiful flat and it was a great day off and just nice to relax in a different setting and get some energy back and rest for those legs and back, even though I feel great!!! I have noticed that now I am in a new province, Galicia, some things are different . First of all there does not seem as many places to stay the night, a complete lack of drinking fountains and now the scollap shell is turned around for directions plus on the way markers you notice a countdown to the km left to Santiago!!! The walk today was into forests and hilly country side and a few photos on the way.... I thought that was a cool shot the reflction of the church!!! a bit of a tease after 17km they throw a climb at you of over 1200 feet no problem for this pilgrim!!! Amazing that I see no other pilgrims on the way the most I have seen in one day is I think about 10....I keep expecting to see some round the corner but no. The Camino provides again in a small but important way for me....as I mentioned not any water fountains so I have been stopping at houses and asking for water well the last village I went through before the big climb seemed deserted and I needed water and as it turns out the last house before i entered the forest there was this young guy digging up his potatoes and I asked him for water he was happy to get it for me and we chatted shook hands and away I went......Camino to the rescue again!!! After 31 km i was in the small village of Lourenza which is where I wanted to spend the night and the the first couple of places I looked at were not suitable until I found this gem...it is owned by the lady who owns the bakery too always a good sign. Well 30 Euros gives me this fantastic room OK Pilgrim what is on the other side of those swining doors?? also includes breakfast and there is a kitchen and the kind lady brought me two bottles of OJ and a small tray with baked goods on and in the fridge milk for me to use(how did she know)!!! Did my laundry had a long hot soak in the tub and then a little sleep and then walked into town where wait for it I saw two male pilgrims.....they looked lost and wanted somewhere to stay so i directed them to where I was staying and sure enough they are all settled in. The Monastery here is supposed to be the most beautiful one in the Province and i went in and sat through the mass. Came home and cooked a nice omelette and now doing the blog before I go back into the village to find a bar open to watch the USA V Belgium soccer game at 10pm(hope I can stay awake)!! One thing I miss is my rings!!! For safety and weight I left my rings at home with Janet and Malc....one ring I wear on my right hand is my wedding ring....Connie had it made for me and it is a gold Mexican coin in a circular band a very attractive ring who would have guessed in 1980 when I got the ring I had never even been to Mexico!!!! The two other rings I wear are around my neck one is from my Mum her Ruby anniversary ring and the other is my Dad's Masonic ring...I cleared it with Malc and that is all I wanted from them and it has been a pleasure and a great reminder of the loving, caring and wonderful parents I had and I treasure the rings around my neck! Again I feel really good I am sure taking care of my legs , feet and toes with extra care twice a day is paying off for me apart from those couple of days of shin splints no injuries. this is the last way marker coming into town only 167 km more to go!!!! Things I learned today. I love bananas and apples. I miss my tennis and poker buddies. I am one lucky guy. Friends who needs em???? I DO!!! Yashi Kochi!!!

4 comments:

Eliza said...

Oh, yeah - today I crossed the border of Galicia as well :) And I have the same distance left to go :)
Let's keep going then :)

mexicokid said...

OK the race is on!!!!

Unknown said...

We celebrated Canada Day at Liloot it was 36 degrees now at Sun Peaks before moving to Jasper x

mexicokid said...

Thats great Sam take lots of photos and have you learned to say "eh" yet??? L

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...