Thursday, May 01, 2014

Thursday 1st May 2014…Day 26!!!!

Kevin Douglas Addison has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder with a firearm following a shooting Wednesday morning at a sawmill in Nanaimo, B.C., where he used to work.

The 47-year-old former employee of the Western Forest Products sawmill spoke in a clear voice when asked if he could hear the telephone proceedings from a cell block in Nanaimo late Wednesday night.

 

Former employee Kevin Douglas Addison was arrested after two people were shot and killed and two others were injured at the Western Forest Products sawmill in Nanaimo, B.C. (CBC)

Addison remains in custody and is scheduled to make another court appearance in Nanaimo on Thursday.

The incident Wednesday began shortly after 7 a.m. PT, when four people were shot at the sawmill, located in an industrial waterfront area of Nanaimo, a city on the east side of Vancouver Island.

Police arrived within minutes, took Addison into custody and recovered a shotgun at the scene. Air and ground ambulances rushed the four who were shot to hospitals in Nanaimo and Victoria.

Michael John Lunn, a 61-year-old father of three and grandfather of five, and 53-year-old Fred James McEachern were pronounced dead on arrival at Nanaimo General Hospital

Two other men were also seriously wounded. Company vice-president Tony Sudar, was shot in the face, and is reported to be in stable condition in Nanaimo General Hospital. Earl Kelly is in critical condition at Victoria General Hospital.

Community in mourning

The shooting shocked the community. Many residents came to lay flowers near the scene of the shootings.

Linda Bledsoe said her family was reeling from the sudden death of her brother, Michael Lunn.

 

Linda Bledsoe left flowers outside the Western Forest Products sawmill in Nanaimo, B.C., where her brother, Mike Lunn, was shot and killed Wednesday morning. (Curt Petrovich/CBC)

"I was staying over at my sister's place when we got the phone call. Yeah it was very hard. The family haven't been the same today," Bledsoe told reporters gathered outside the sawmill.

Bledsoe described Lunn as a lovable guy who drove a forklift at the sawmill.

"He was fun. He was very lovable and he was very jolly. And he loved his family very much, so it's a shock to all of us."

Keith Starkiewicz, who worked at the mill briefly, also stopped by to lay flowers at the growing memorial outside the mill gates.

Starkiewicz said he knew victim Fred McEachern, and described all the victims as good people, trying to make a living.

Officials with Western Forest Products said all of their sawmills on Vancouver Island were closed Wednesday after the shooting.

The Nanaimo mill was still surrounded by police tape on Thursday morning as police continued their investigation.

The company is providing employees with grief counselling and support.

 

A rare occurrence for this area!!!

Just a beautiful sunny morning and time for me to go kayaking…..I borrowed Ross's truck and loaded up the boat and away I went to a local beach to launch!!

DSC03679

  like everything else I own the kayak has a name welcome to “the great one”!!!

the water was so calm and in minutes I was paddling away.

DSC03681

DSC03683

  DSC03691

DSC03697

  DSC03706Lunch time!!

DSC03704

DSC03705

DSC03690

DSC03710

I walked around the Island and then had lunch before heading back!!

DSC03711

You can see how much the tide went out!!!

DSC03709

DSC03713

I really enjoyed my time out on the water!!!

I gave Heather a little treat this afternoon….4pm tea scones and real Devonshire cream and strawberry jam….

DSC03717

Anyone want to see my tan!!!!

 

going to show you anyway!!!

 

 

Not suitable for younger readers!!!

 

 

 

DSC03716

 

  Any ways my winning ways continue at poker tonight but only 4 dollars!!!!

 

 

Thanks Ray for this!!!

>>>                        The  first day of school our professor introduced
>>> himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know.
>>> I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.
>>>
>>>            I turned around to find a wrinkled,  little old lady beaming
>>> up at me with a smile  that lit up her entire being..
>>>
>>>            She said,  'Hi handsome. My name is Rose. I'm eighty-seven
>>> years old. Can I give you a hug?'
>>>
>>>            I  laughed and enthusiastically responded, 'Of  course you
>>> may!' and she gave me a giant  squeeze..
>>>
>>>            'Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?' I
>>> asked.
>>>
>>>            She jokingly replied, 'I'm here to meet  a rich husband, get
>>> married, and have a couple of kids...'
>>>
>>>            'No seriously,' I asked. I was curious what may have
>>> motivated her to taking on this challenge at her age.
>>>
>>>            'I always dreamed of having a college education and  now I'm
>>> getting one! she told me.
>>>
>>>            After class we walked to the student union building and
>>> shared a chocolate milkshake.
>>>
>>>            We  became instant friends. Every day for the next three
>>> months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always
>>> mesmerized listening to this 'time machine' as she shared her wisdom and
>>> experience with me..
>>>
>>>            Over the course  of the year, Rose became a campus icon and
>>> she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved  to dress up and
>>> she reveled in the attention  bestowed upon her from the other students.
>>> She was living it up.
>>>
>>>            At the end of the  semester we invited Rose to speak at our
>>> football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was
>>> introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her
>>> prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on  the floor.
>>>
>>>            Frustrated  and a little embarrassed she leaned into the
>>> microphone a simply said, 'I'm sorry I'm so  jittery. I gave up beer for
>>> Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech  back in
>>> order so let me just tell you what I know.'
>>>
>>>            As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, ' We do not
>>> stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing.
>>>
>>>            There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy,
>>> and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day.
>>> You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die. We have
>>> so many people walking around who are dead
>>> and don't even know it!
>>>
>>>            There is a huge difference between growing older and growing
>>> up.
>>>
>>>            If  you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full
>>> year and don't do one productive thing,  you will turn twenty years old.
>>> If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a  year and never do
>>> anything I will turn eighty-eight.
>>>
>>>            Anybody! Can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or
>>> ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change.
>>> Have no regrets.
>>>
>>>            The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but
>>> rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are
>>> those with regrets.
>>>
>>>            She concluded her speech by courageously  singing 'The Rose.'
>>>
>>>            She challenged each  of us to study the lyrics and live them
>>> out in  our daily lives. At the year's end Rose finished  the college
>>> degree she had begun all those  months ago.
>>>
>>>            One week after graduation  Rose died peacefully in her sleep.
>>>
>>>            Over  two thousand college students attended her  funeral in
>>> tribute to the wonderful woman who  taught by example that it's never
>>> too late to be all you can possibly be.
>>>
>>>            When you finish  reading this, please send this peaceful word
>>> of  advice to your friends and family, they'll  really enjoy it!
>>>
>>>            These words have been  passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
>>>
>>>            REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.  GROWING UP IS
>>> OPTIONAL.
>>>
>>>            We make a living by what we get. We make a Life by what we
>>> give.

 

I resume you all remembered to say rabbits, rabbits, rabbits first thing this morning.

Yashi Kochi!!

 

 

    No comments:

    Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

     This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...