Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday 12th Aril 2014 Day 7 !!

Had another great sleep the bed in Ramona 2 is very comfortable and I said a thank you and a good bye to my hostess Dawn it was a great stay and I shall never forget Yosemite and hiking by those falls.

I was on the road by 8.30am and my first call was in Stockton where I went to REI and bought another pair of socks and a camera case I looked at hats(Linda) but could not find one I liked I have never worn a hat before but think it may be a wise(Linda)investment.  I then went to my next favorite store Trader Joes and bought a few things including some sunscreen(Linda)…anyone get the impression Linda has been on my case!!!

I drove for about one hour on Interstate 5 not thrilled by it and came off and headed towards to the coast on the 20…a very lovely drive with beautiful sunny skies

DSC02853

DSC02863

I listened to two great live soccer games from England and the 500km drive went by quickly…..I am checking my route north and I have a place booked tomorrow night in Bandon Oregon which is 500 km away so I stopped around 3pm in a small town called Willits.

DSC02875

A is where I started this morning and C is where I am now!!!

there were a few motels and I shopped around till I found what suited me for 45 dollars very clean and with fridge and Micro

DSC02870

Love the sheets!!!

DSC02876

There is a dollar Tree store across the street and I enjoyed walking around and bought a few things including this

DSC02871

so when I came back to the room ran a hot bath and put lots of salts in and relaxed and fell asleep…….

Cleaned the car checked the tires and now relaxing with tea and getting ready for bed after I write the blog.

Tomorrow will be one week on the road I feel like I have been gone so long and boy have I seen some things!!!!!

This article below may interest you for two reasons one is that Sheffield is my home town in England and the police Officer mentioned Mr.Duckenfield was on the same basic training course as I was!!!

Hillsborough disaster

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 

Hillsborough disaster, 1989

Hillsborough disaster main.jpg

The Leppings Lane end of Hillsborough Stadium during the disaster

Coroner
Dr. Stefan Popper

The Hillsborough disaster was an incident that occurred on 15 April 1989 at the Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, England. During the FA Cup semi-final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest football clubs, a human crush resulted in the deaths of 96 people and injuries to 766 others. The incident has since been blamed primarily on the police for letting too many people enter the stadium, and remains the worst stadium-related disaster in British history, and one of the world's worst football disasters.[1]

At the time, semi-finals of the FA Cup were contested at a neutral venue. For the 1989 tournament, the Football Association (FA) selected Hillsborough (home ground of Sheffield Wednesday football club) for the contest between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. As is standard in domestic English football matches, opposing supporters were segregated in the stadium. Liverpool fans were allocated the Leppings Lane stand.[2] Entry to the Leppings Lane stand was possible only via one of a small number of decrepit turnstiles,[2] a restriction that led to dangerous overcrowding outside the ground before kick-off. In an attempt to ease pressure outside the ground, Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, the senior police officer responsible for the match, ordered an exit gate to be opened. The opened exit gate led to a tunnel marked "Standing", which led directly to the two already overcrowded enclosures (pens). In previous years, the tunnel had been closed off by police when the two central pens were full; however, on this occasion the tunnel was unmanned.

The ensuing influx of supporters caused crushing, and some fans climbed over side fences or were lifted by fellow supporters onto the stand above to escape the crush. Moments after kick-off, a crush barrier broke, and fans began to fall on top of each other. The game was stopped after six minutes. To carry away the injured, supporters tore down advertising hoardings to use as stretchers, and emergency services were called to provide assistance. Of the 96 people who died, 14 were admitted to hospital. When the FA Chairman visited the Control Box to find out what had happened, Duckenfield told a "disgraceful lie",[3] that the supporters had "rushed" the gate.

The 1990 official inquiry into the disaster, the Taylor Report, concluded that "the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control."[4] The findings of the report resulted in the elimination of standing terraces at all major football stadiums in England, Wales and Scotland.

On the 20th anniversary of the disaster, government minister Andy Burnham called for the police, ambulance and all other public agencies to release documents that had not been made available to Lord Justice Taylor in 1989.[5] This action led to the formation of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which in September 2012 concluded that no Liverpool fans were responsible for the deaths, and that attempts had been made by the authorities to conceal what happened, including the alteration by police of 116 statements relating to the disaster.[6][7] The facts in the report prompted immediate apologies from Prime Minister David Cameron; the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, David Crompton; Football Association Chairman David Bernstein; and Kelvin MacKenzie, then-editor of The Sun, for their organisations' respective roles.[8]

In September 2012, the Hillsborough Independent Panel concluded that up to 41 of the 96 fatalities might have been avoided had they received prompt medical treatment.[9] The report revealed "multiple failures" by other emergency services and public bodies that contributed to the death toll. In response to the panel's report, the Attorney General for England and Wales, Dominic Grieve MP, confirmed he would consider all the new evidence to evaluate whether the original inquest verdicts of accidental death could be overturned.[10] On 19 December 2012, a new inquest was granted in the High Court, to the relief of the families and friends of those who died at Hillsborough.

 

I smell a beach walk in my near future….stayed tuned!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!

3 comments:

Croft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Croft said...

Try a Tilley Hat. They are indestructible, guaranteed for life (including loss) and can be rolled up when not in use and tucked into a corner of your pack.

You are making good time!

mexicokid said...

I tried the hats at REI but did not feel right will still look...yes good time but easy driving days the Oregon coast today was awesome safe travels to you L

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...