Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday June 28th 2013………..party time!!

The usual breakfast with Wimbledon the timing is perfect so I watched for a couple of hours and then got ready for a big hike….I went again behind the casita into the canyons but took a different route this time.

DSCF0137

I have never seen anyone else on these trails before but today I had company…

DSCF0139

DSCF0141

With all the desert like conditions it is surprising that anything grows but it does….

DSCF0144

DSCF0150

 

DSCF0149

After about 5 km the trail came to an end..

DSCF0148

So I retraced my steps and crossed over the bridge

DSCF0151

and stopped for lunch.

Now the story I am about to tell is only my summation as I do not know the instincts of animals…anyway I am sitting on a bench overlooking the canyon and I had hung my very bright soccer shirt over a tree branch to dry as it was soaked from sweat.

DSCF0152-002

So this is the canyon view I am facing…see anything??? Look closer at the white X in the center….

DSCF0152

I think this is a fox and he was looking right where I am sitting and about 75 yards away on the other side on the canyon.

I watched him very quickly come down the side of the canyon

DSCF0155

Then he crossed over and came on the path where I was

DSCF0159

I do not know if he could smell my food, see me or attracted to the bright shirt but it was one of those encounters that last a short while but will stay with me for a long time..isn’t nature wonderful.

After lunch I decided to get a bit adventurous in previous visits here I had see a set of ladders that go down to the canyon floor and I felt it was time to take the time to explore…

DSCF0163

DSCF0164

 

DSCF0165

That was the first set

DSCF0167

This is the second and now I am on the canon floor and scrambled over huge rocks.

DSCF0168

DSCF0172

there really was not a path but I knew which direction I needed to go and after about 30 minutes came out here

DSCF0177

I have no idea what this structure is but obviously very expansive and derelict.

DSCF0178

I came out on the road about 3 km from my casita…I was gone almost 4 hours with only a short stop for lunch so I think it was about 18 km…I was tired from the rock climbing but it was a beautiful hike.

Tonight I was invited to my friends Doris and Herb’s 60th wedding anniversary….Herb is one of my poker buddies and the party was in the very lovely small hotel Santa Monica….

DSCF0179

DSCF0181

Unfortunately Doris was sick and spent most of the time with a doctor sitting outside but she did come in for a few minutes!!!

DSCF0186

This lady was a very talented opera singer

DSCF0189

 

I sat next to and flirted with Bebe..she was delightful and 92 years young!!!!

DSCF0185

A wonderful evening!!!

Yesteryear!!!

Siena

Last year in Siena…beautiful!!

3

Janet and Malc dropped me off at the bus station in Ljubljana, Slovenia and I began my back pack odyssey!!!

2

 

Back yard Nanaimo with “ Bambi”

To my Canadian friends this is the start of the long weekend make it a happy, safe and loving one!!!

Yashi Koshi!!

2 comments:

Glenn said...

The "very expansive and derelict" structure was meant to be a hotel. I don't remember what year the construction began but at one point crews were working night, and day. I hiked the canyon area off and on for several years. The new construction blocked my entry point to the canyon. At some time later I tried entering from an area above the canyon--but by then that area had became a nature reserve. Never saw a fox in that area!

mexicokid said...

thanks what a waste....yes the fox was a real treat thanks les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...