Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday 18th March 2013…..Day 5!!!

Well it was a little cool during the night but the wind died down overnight and I was up at 8am to be in the lobby of the restaurant where I was told to be for the whale watching boat and this is where I had my first glitch…the man that I paid the money to for the hotel and arranged for me to be here for the boat was gone for the day and there was no one else to go out on the boat…so another man went into town to try and find someone else to go.  I spoke to an American couple who told me they went out yesterday and it was not good they said nearly all of the whales have left the lagoon and they only saw one whale.

So when the guy came back he told me he had found three other people from another hotel to go but the cost was now 1200 pesos in stead of the 700 pesos they quoted me yesterday….he said he was going to get the other people and he would be back in 5 minutes….well 45 minutes later he was still not back so a minute later I got in the car and left.

Seeing the whales has been high on my bucket list for years but it did appear it was not going to happen today…so there are still two more lagoons further north where I can go so I did not feel bad about leaving.  In my life expectations have been a huge problem for me….it is only in the last few years that I have learned to accept things as they are and not to have expectations so this was not a biggie for me.

So I had a 450km drive day through some beautiful scenery..

DSCF8353

Had an interesting incident I was following a large tourist van that had many suitcases on a rack on the top and as you can see the roads are narrow and twisty and thanks to my good old Dad who taught me to drive all those years ago and one of the things he taught me was not to follow to close behind a vehicle in front and a good job too because on one of the sharp turns off flies a suit case and came bouncing towards me…fortunately there was no one behind me and I was able to slow down and avoid the case..I quickly stopped and went back and picked the suitcase up and put it in my car and then went off in pursuit of the van…..it took me a while to catch up but I did and passed it and flagged it down…the driver did not want to stop at first but I made sure he needed to know that I wanted him to stop he did and I got out with the suitcase and this lady in the front seat almost flipped……she was so thankful and wanted to give me money but I said no problem happy to help.

The next incident was that I knew I was running out of gas and I was really no where near a town….I have never ever run out of gas but I knew this was going to be the first time when luck would have it I passed a RV park on the ocean so with literally fumes left I pulled in and went to the first RV and asked the guy if I could buy a litre or two of gas..he said no way but he would give me the gas..off he went to one of his compartments and gave me gas we shook hands and I assured him I would pass on his good will…the gas station was about 30km down the road no way I would have made it!!

DSCF8355

My lunch time view!!

DSCF8356

I took a little detour to

DSCF8368

DSCF8372

DSCF8369

This church really is in the middle of nowhere!!!

DSCF8373

Some views on the way back to the highway…

DSCF8379

Another small church in the middle of the desert!!

DSCF8363

DSCF8364

DSCF8390

This is where I decided to spend the night and found this nice hotel on the outside of town..

DSCF8389

The room is spartan but clean and good facilities plus Wi-Fi ocean view sort of and only 480 pesos!!

DSCF8383

DSCF8384

The view from the balcony

DSCF8388

DSCF8385

After a few hours of driving I knew I needed a power walk so of I went into town about 2 miles away….

not an impressive town but the church here

DSCF8393

is said to have been designed by Gustave Eiffel!!!!

On the way back home I stopped here

DSCF8399

and took home 4 tacos!!!!  Carolyn got me hooked on these last week!!!!

Back home after supper and a great hot shower now listening again to a Hockey game from Vancouver and writing this blog!!!!

Map picture

 

An interesting and good day!!

Pura Vida!!!

1 comment:

Paula and Jerry said...

You are almost to San Ignacio, where the friendliest whales are! Remember Rice & Beans? We hope you have better luck there. Perhaps you are a little late, but we put a word in with the whales and told them to hang around a bit for you. Hope they listened! Buena suerte!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...