Saturday, March 16, 2013

Friday 15th March 2013….Day 2!!

Had a good sleep and woke up at 7am and decided it was time for a long walk…I did not have to check out of the hotel till noon and had to be at the ferry terminal by one so I knew I had lots of time…so by 8am I was on the move back down to the Malecon and the X is my destination not very clear but it is the twin towers of the church in the main square!!
DSCF8245

A pretty walk

DSCF8244

DSCF8246

Hard to see the green X but about half way there..

DSCF8252Made it!!!

Quite an impressive church I did go inside but was not allowed to take any photos!!

DSCF8253

Where I have to walk back to!!!

DSCF8254

I never wear a watch except when I am on the road and this is my old Referee watch…I sure miss that activity I did it for nearly 10 years and I think I reffed over 1500 games….I always enjoyed them and it was cool to do something you love, get exercise and get paid to boot!!!  I think because I was an ex player and an ex policeman and a good people person that I was highly regarded as a Ref and I know that I did the best I could and apart from 2 games when I know I did a sub par performance..one of those games was when I reffed the team that I use to play for…so I knew all the guys and it was a hard game to do and I definitely not bring my A game….the other game was a women’s Collegiate game in Seattle……the day before I had received some terrible news about a close friend and I was unable to get my head together and I did a really poor game…I did have the guts to go up to both coaches after the game and apologize…fortunately in both games my poor job did not effect the outcome of the game. On the other hand I also know I reffed some great games and my awards and recognition was worth it to me to know that I also started the youth Referee and mentorship program and for years I taught the kids and the highlight now is to see one of my kids now firmly established in the higher echelons of the game…way to go Matt Notely.

I digressed..I got back at the hotel just before 10am I reckon I walked at least 14 km   ..and it felt really good.  I was just in time to get the free breakfast of cereal and toast then went to my room and relaxed and worked on some trip planning…had a long hot shower and checked out at noon…my trusty GPS got me to the ferry terminal with no problems.

I had a reservation so I had to get the car weighed then a thorough Military search including a dog that actually got into the car…all was well no tequila this time!!!!!  My long time readers will know what that comment means!!!

Then it was into a line up for over an hour before we were allowed to board.  We took off on time at 4pm

DSCF8256

DSCF8258

DSCF8269

DSCF8276

DSCF8271

I chose not to book a cabin for the 16 hour ride but soon realized that the seat they had assigned me in a very small cramped room was not going to cut it and there was no where to stretch out and be comfortable so I went to the office and asked if there were any cabins available and I got the last one for 500 pesos…worth every peso!!!

DSCF8264

A full bathroom with a shower, even a port hole

DSCF8265

DSCF8263

So it is perfect, no internet but I am writing this and will save it then post tomorrow.

As I had some time on my hands I found these little stories from years ago but which I think are still funny!!

A guy was sitting quietly reading his paper when his wife walked up
> behind
> him and whacked him on the head with a magazine.
> 'What was that for?' he asked.
> 'That was for the piece of paper in your pants pocket with the name
> Laura Lou written on it,' she replied.
> 'Two weeks ago when I went to the races, Laura Lou was the name of
> one of the horses I bet on,' he explained.
> 'Oh honey, I'm sorry,' she said. 'I should have known there was a
> good explanation.'
> Three days later he was watching a ballgame on TV when she walked up
> and hit him in the head again, this time with the iron skillet, which
> knocked him out cold.
> When he came to, he asked, 'What was that for?'
> Your horse called.

 

Just came across this exercise suggested for
older adults, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It
seems
so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my friends. The article
suggested doing it three days a week.
Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of
room at
each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms
straight
out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to
reach a
full minute, and then relax.
Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit
longer.
After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 50-lb
potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a
100-lb
potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a
full
minute. (I'm at this level).
After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the
sacks.

It is now 9am and a beautiful sunny day and I slept like a baby till 8am what a great idea to get the room!!!!

DSCF8278

DSCF8277

DSCF8280

 

We arrive in La Paz around 10am  and I have a B & B booked for one night so I shall drive there and check in and spend the rest of the day checking out the town!!!!!!

Pura Vida!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...