Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Wednesday 2nd January 2013…….hey rain go away!!!

Had to cancel tennis this morning because of rain but it did stop during the morning but remained grey skies all day…so Plan B was a lovely breakfast with reading a current newspaper that Sara brought for me I am used to reading newspapers that our months old so this was a treat!!

I left home around 11am and lots of chores to do in town one of them was to go to a Framer that had been recommended as I wanted two prize possessions framed….

DSCF7445

The first item was this great photo that I took in the summer of my Family…it will look fantastic when it is completed….the second item of treasure

DSCF7446

There is a long story to this original and signed Wayne Gretzky hockey shirt….now if ANYONE is saying who is that…you are banned from this blog for one week!!!!

I think it is apparent that I am a sports nut…I will compete in an game and like to watch most sports…when I arrived in Edmonton, Canada in 1980 that October I was taken to watch my first live hockey game and I was hooked…this was the start of the famous Edmonton Oilers dynasty including 99, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Messier….I went to as many games as I could and I became a great follower of 99…much to my Father’s cringing I even got a 99 and hockey stick tattoo, want to know where?  e mail me off line and I will send you a photo!!!!

I admired Gretzky for his unbelievable hockey talents but also for his off ice behavior and the love he had for his family and especially his relationship with his Dad…in these days of spoiled brat professional athletes who earn millions he was a breath of fresh air and even though he has been retired many years you never hear about him except for positive news and his records in the hockey books will never be broken.

So now fast forward to my 14 years of working as a waiter in a  family restaurant in Nanaimo…it was mainly all regular retired and wealthy customers that I got along with so well and really enjoyed every shift….over the years I developed a friendship with a lady who would come in and eat every evening and of course I treated her as if she was my Mother……it is a sad story of what happened to her as she committed suicide but she did surprise me one day with a box gift for my Birthday……when I got home I found this hockey shirt signed and numbered from my hero…it was the most generous and kind gift.

So now I feel it is time I got it framed in glass and it will take pride of place in my new casita next month!!!

1pm saw me at the poker table where nearly 4 hours later I left with a  loss of 30 pesos…..tacos for me tonight.

When I moved to Nanaimo in 1993 I connected with a group of guys and we played recreational twice a week which was quite competitive and fun…they are still playing but I retired from playing about 10 years ago when I took up as a referee…but the boys still play and one of the highlights was that we always played New year’s day…thanks to Jimmy this is the photo after the game yesterday!!!!

christmas 2012 1

I count about 6 guys as the originals and nice to see a couple of ladies have joined the group…good memories for sure!!!

Have a great evening blessings les

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...