Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday 11th December 2012…to take a quote from the sport of cricket..”Rain stopped play today!!!!”

Last night over supper the term Limey came up and as I am one I was a bit ashamed not to know where the word came from but of course the Internet knows!!! 

Limey is a Caribbean and North American slang nickname for British people, originally referring to British sailors and seamen. This term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and British Merchant Navy practice of supplying rations of lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy. The term "Limey" is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s.

An alternate explanation comes from the Limes Britannicus, which was the northern most border of the Roman Empire dividing Scotland and England, but it is unlikely that this term was well known in the Caribbean and North America at the time this nickname arose.

A certainly false etymology is that "Limey" is a derivative of the phrase "Cor blimey" ("God blind me!").

 

So tennis was cancelled this morning because of RAIN!!!!!

 

It was a typical west coast December morning, very cool, very windy and raining..

After I got home I stayed put and did some computer work, some studying and when it finally cleared up around 5pm I went for a long walk I went down to the railway tracks and walked along them for a while.

Here is the CAT resting after his supper..

DSCF7115

Down by the tracks there is this crazy Ukrainian like house!!!

DSCF7122

DSCF7121

DSCF7116

I was lucky to catch a train going by…

DSCF7124

DSCF7125

Having a quiet night at home with some TV, computer work and soon tea and cookies!!!

Yashi Koshi!!

2 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

I believe captain James Cook was the first to use lime and sour krout in his crew's diet.
The house reminds me of something Antoni Gaudi-esque.

mexicokid said...

pretty cool eh??

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...