Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday 28th August 2012……2 day road trip!!!

I was all packed up and ready to leave by 8.30am and after my little Brother talk from my big Brother….you know don’t talk to strange women etc. etc.…. I was all set to go……..I had done some Internet research and my goal was to go see the highest waterfall in England and this is the route…

imageA is Cottingham the start and B is High Force waterfall…

 

 

 

It was about 2 hours of mainly motorway driving and the Cod head handles very well and soon I was at my first stop.

DSCF5312

DSCF5315

These ruins were really not close anything and the parking was free, no entrance fee and no one else there but me, very beautiful!!

DSCF5313

DSCF5317

DSCF5318

DSCF5330

A beautiful building

DSCF5335

but I did not go in!!

DSCF5334

I love the farm animals

DSCF5340

 

DSCF5381The horses…

DSCF5374

The sheep

DSCF5308

The cows..

 

and of course no farm yard in Britain would be complete without the CAMEL!!!!!!!

DSCF5309

DSCF5307

The highest waterfall in England is called High Force and I was at the parking lot at about 12.30pm and I had found a map which showed a circular hike of 8 miles…so I was packed up and away I went.

DSCF5343

DSCF5345

DSCF5346

DSCF5378

DSCF5348

I get two “digs” in with this photo!!!!

DSCF5350

Hey Janet are those real sheep???

Ian check out this WALL!!!!

DSCF5354

The hike up to High Force was fairly flat and very picturesque..

DSCF5357

I could hear the falls before I saw them!!

DSCF5358

DSCF5359

Beautiful…..had my lunch here!!!

DSCF5361

The next part of the hike got a bit dodgy after this bridge..

DSCF5367

The path seemed to disappear and the ground was very boggy and I had to make numerous detours but still managed to get my feet soaked and it took me longer than I thought to get back to the car..I reckon I walked about 10 miles…but it was really enjoyable!!!

I read in my guide book of a B & B in a nearby village which was only priced at 30 pounds about 45 dollars so I checked it out and booked for one night!!!

DSCF5382

DSCF5384

The room is delightful..

DSCF5385

The seating area outside my room.

DSCF5386

DSCF5387

DSCF5388

DSCF5389

The kettle was soon on and a wonderful cup of tea….life is good.

There is no Internet here but in a few minutes I am going to walk down to the village pub for dinner and I think they have Internet so will try and post from there…..then will come back here for tea and watch some TV…

Tomorrow more exploring and will be home tomorrow night.

Yashi Koshi!!!

1 comment:

Kevin Read said...

Looks like a great hike and a nice waterfall. We sure did our share of hikes in June and July where we were consently in mud and bog, gotta love good old England!

Kevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...