Thursday, August 09, 2012

Thursday 9th August 2012……first a last second rip off then home to England!!!!

My last hurdle was to find a way to get to the airport from my hotel a distance of about 50 km….as I was walking the streets two days ago there were very many Travel agencies with signs offering a shuttle service from your hotel to the airport for 25 Lira…I checked two or three and they all offered the same service and same departure times…..the next issue was my hotel was on a very narrow street and not really like a hotel no front lobby and just a door where you rang the bell.  So I scouted around the area and about 100 yards away I found a very posh hotel on a larger street and I went in and asked if I could use their address as a pick up point for the shuttle bus and they told me no problem.

So I went to one of these agencies Marco Polo travel agency and booked and paid for a reservation for today.  I must say that as I was doing this gut instinct or something inside of me felt that this agency did not seem right I cannot tell you exactly what it was but there was something just niggling in the back of my mind.  The agency was on the main street and quite a big office with at least 4 agents.  Anyway I paid and got a receipt and gave them the hotel name and address and was told to be outside at 8.40am..it is about 90 minutes with all the traffic to get to the airport and my flight was at 1pm so I figured I had enough time.

Yesterday as I was walking I again had some little doubts and as I went past the agency I stopped in and asked them to convince me that the shuttle would arrive and it would get me to the airport in time.  This was no problem I was told and in any case the number of the agency was on the receipt… which it was.

So I am all packed this morning feeling great and I walked the few yards to the hotel and I was there by 8.30am….by 8.55am there was no shuttle so I went inside and asked to use the phone and called the agency and explained the problem and gave them the receipt number and I was told they had no record whatsoever of my booking…there was no point getting angry and shouting or complaining because my main worry was to get to the airport…..I told the man on the phone to expect my letter of complaint and hung up.

Went outside and stopped a taxi and asked how much to the airport and was told 150 Lira…I said no thanks.  The next taxi I stopped also told me 150 Lira so I knew this was the going price problem was I did not have 150 Lira..so I asked the taxi driver if he would take me to the airport and on the way stop at an ATM and he said sure..so off I went.

The traffic was really bad but the driver took the ferry instead of the bridge and then stopped at a bank machine and by 10.20am I was at the airport…….

I checked in no problems with bags or carry on baggage and now in the middle of the 3.45 hour flight.

I met this delightful young lady, Burcin, on the flight I actually moved onto her row to have more room…she is a Turkish lady who moved with her family to England when she was three and she had just been back to Turkey to visit relatives…I fear I talked her ear off but it was really interesting to hear her talk about her country and the struggles growing up and what it is like for a female.  She is one bright and lovely lady she took my e mail so I hope to hear from her.

 

So on reflection I am out about 80 dollars but I will try with e mail to do so something about it but not expecting any results…a little sad the last day  my first problem but in no way does this spoil my imagine of Turkey or the people.  It also reinforces the fact that sometimes having reached this ripe old age and being a bit street smart I should have listened to my gut feeling and walked out of that agency!!!!

Malc was there waiting for me and the journey home was great Janet had provided wonderful snacks and the world famous Wingies…….we caught up on the family news and I must admit after 66 days of being on the road to be in the same bed for a while and not pack and unpacking will be a treat BUT at the same time I did not mind any of that it was not an issue for me.

Further reflection and I was so pleased that my hours of research paid off I saw and did what I wanted to do….the accommodations were perfect, the buses and travelling easy and I met everywhere I went wonderful people.  This was a new way to get around and I enjoyed it although I did miss the comforts of Ramona!!

I have three weeks left in England and in 10 days…wait for it…I have a bus tour booked!!!   Janet, Sam Malc and I are going on a 4 day bus tour to Scotland, I have never been, and the tour includes another of my bucket list items, the Edinburgh tattoo…so lots to look forward to.

This weekend I am going to advertise Ramona on Craig’s List and Kijjii and Heather and Kirby have so kindly offered to bring Ramona home to their house and clean her up and put a for sale sign on her and use their phone number for any interested buyers…so now I really hope she sells before I leave for Mexico on the 17th September.

We arrived home at 7pm and it was good to see Janet and later on Andy…had good old English Fish and chips and spent a couple of hours watching live Olympic coverage…….

So there you have what a blast!!!!!!

1 comment:

living.boondockingmexico said...

Sounds really fun! How long have you been overseas? Yikes! I wonder what your total expenses were?

Between you and Kevin and Ruth, you guys have us excited about next year.

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...