Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday 23rd July 2012……..Island time!!!

The three hours at the airport when by quite quickly spent some time re packing my back pack which I really like it is just what I need for this trip as it is a back pack but also I can adapt it to be a suitcase..thanks Heather and Kirby!!!

The 45 minute flight was easy and I had a window seat and as it was getting light the final turn and approach into Santorini was really neat!!

George the owner of the apartment where I am booked 4 days was there to meet me at 6.30am and I was in my room by 7am….this is another apartment that I booked over the Internet with lots of research and again it is great….small but has everything I need, including my own bathroom, fridge, air conditioner and there is a lovely communal kitchen and how about this???

DSCF2919

The room cost is 48 dollars..a good deal!!

DSCF2920

DSCF2921

DSCF2948

Santorini is quite a small island I am staying at A just below the F in Fira which is the main town about a 10 minute walk away and the supposed to be lovely town of Oia is about 5 miles away and there is a footpath along the cliffs that I shall do one day.

Tomorrow I am going to rent a scooter and do some exploring!!!

I had an early afternoon nap and then got ready and walked into the small village where I am staying…so neat with these little narrow ways

DSCF2935

 

DSCF2947

and beautiful clean and gleaming churches!!!!

DSCF2923

DSCF2925

DSCF2927

DSCF2936

Who needed to go to the Acropolis in Athens yesterday they have their own one here!!!!!!!

DSCF2928

I then continued through the village about 20 minutes to the beach..which is black sand and pebbles!!!

DSCF2929

DSCF2934

DSCF2922

It was about 45 minute walk and it was hot and I decided to try and hitch a ride  back and it took about 5 minutes for this Albanian man to pick me up and drop me home.

I then went two minutes round the corner to the local bakery I am not confessing to anything I may or may not have bought here to have with my tea tonight!!!

The big supermarket is next door where I bought food and drink enough for three days and outside the supermarket I saw an old man on the side walk selling cucumbers and wonderful looking tomatoes so I went and picked out three tomatoes and he indicated that he did not want any money from me.  I thought I had mis understood him so I pulled out a euro coin and offered it to him and he would not take it…..these kind of interactions make it all so worth while!!!!

Swam in the pool had tea and relaxed…..cooked a wonderful full of good stuff omelet had my late night tea and now the blog….

I am amazed at how fast the days and the weeks go by this Saturday I shall be in Turkey my final country!!!!

Yahsi Kochi…

1 comment:

Croft said...

A beautiful part of the world!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...