Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday 10th April 2012…………………..CAN YOU STAND ANOTHER ONE?????????????????????????????

ASHLEY DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!

 

Ashley’s game this morning was 10.45 am so her and her Mum were off before 7.30am to the training facility to warm up and Stella and I drove to the venue…yet again another beautiful and so well equipped setting.  Incredible grounds, the flowers so lush and the tennis facilities awesome.

On a personal note my dream car as always been a Mercedes so when I tell you that Stella drives me here and Stella drives me there won’t I don’t mention is this is what I am being driven in!!!!!!

IMG_9723

We seem to have settled into a routine for watching Ashley play…Stella finds a nice shady spot….I go far away and sit in the sun and Pauline…well Pauline starts off with her Mum…then moves away on her own…then paces up and down and even spends a bit of time in the bathroom!!!!!!  The anxiety of being a sport’s MUM!!!!

What I have not told anyone is that like some of the pro stars who get superstitious and wear the same clothes or do the same things in order…I have worn the same shorts for the last three victories!!!!!!!

So her opponent today was a tall, strong young lady of 14 years and the the first set Ashley managed to pull away and win 6-2….the other girl was suffering from not getting her first serve in and also letting that feeling into her head!!!

Ashley jumped out into a 4-1 lead in the second set and appeared to be cruising to an easy win…but wait a minute!!!!

Her opponent won the next two games to make 4-3…..the level of play had picked up and then the score was 5-4 to Ashley…one game to victory!!!!

Then next game Ashley had two match points but could not close the deal !!!

This time on match point Ash prevailed and won 6-2 6-4 to move into the last 16 of the best girl's tennis players in the USA at the 14 age group!!!!!

This is an awesome accomplishment for anyone but especially so for a girl 12 years old who was not expected to win any games here!!!

IMG_9725

IMG_9726

IMG_9727

As usual you don’t communicate with Ashley after the game she goes off on her 10 minute run, then comes back and talks with her coach and then we get chance for the high fives and the hugs!!!!!

I do not apologize for saying this again but just as important to me as Ashley’s tennis prowess….. is her attitude on the court, she is focused, extremely fair, always up beat and never down on her self.. then the way she is off the court, very modest, very beautiful, very smart BUT still unable to beat an old man at soccer.

I have so enjoyed my time with her and her family and getting pumped already about tomorrow’s game!!!

An afternoon of pool, hot tub and reading as we all felt exhausted!!!!

Blessings to all and please all wish great things for Ashley tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

Carol said...

so exciting to read about these matches Les!!

I used to be good at tennis til I hurt my shoulder... it is such a wonderful game... what a treat for you.... thx.

mexicokid said...

you are so right being so close to all the action and seeing the reactions of parents, coaches even at this level some not so great incidents,,but this kid is awesome!!! les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...