Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wednesday 12th October 2011…the plan was good on paper BUT!!!!!!

Gregg went to play tennis this morning at 8am and we said our goodbyes and perhaps we may meet up again in Texas later on this month or early November…..he was a very kind host thanks!!

So I set out and my first stop was a Laundromat which I found a little ways from Gregg's house and got all my clothes cleaned and then onto the dreaded Interstates!!!

Apart from the fact that I don’t like driving them and much prefer small town America and the back roads sometimes  I have to bite the bullet but my biggest peeve is that drivers not only here but in Canada don’t know how to merge onto the highways…I so wish they would approach give it the gas and get going, very annoying.

Gregg had told me there was a great whaling museum in a town a few miles down the highway and though I am not a huge museum kind of guy I did stop here

oct12 002and glad I did.

The museum was right in town and parking was very hard and I saw a police officer stood at the side of the road and asked where  I could park and he said simple I will back up my cruiser and park in front!!!!

oct12 001

The museum was very well laid out and extremely informative.

oct12 003

oct12 005

oct12 006

oct12 009A beautiful replica of a whaling ship!!

oct12 008

Anyway in the 4 hour drive I went through

oct12 015

then

oct12 017

and finally into

oct12 020

My GPS was set to the Wal-Mart in the town of White Plains this I had researched yesterday and found the Wal-Mart was 2 blocks from the train station where I could get the train to down town NYC…all was well in research but I knew iI was in big trouble when the GPS was sending me right into down town White Plains and sure enough the Wal-Mart was right there with only small underground parking.  In all my years travelling and all the Wal-Mart's I have seen I have never seen one right down town.

I drove around and eventually found the police station and asked them if there was anywhere I could park for 24 hours and they knew of no where…so Iwas set to get out of the city when I saw this huge box store with a large parking lot.  I went in and asked for the manager and told him my dilemma..he came out took a look at Ramona and showed me where I could park in the corner out of the way.  When I told him I was heading for the city tomorrow till tomorrow night he shook my hand and said no problem the RV will be fine there…how kind he became an instant Canadian citizen when I gave him a Canadian key chain.

It was now 7pm and I was relieved to have such a good place to stay I will have a bit of a walk to the train station tomorrow but that is OK.

Across the street is a huge grocery store so I went and bought some bread and meat for sandwiches tomorrow and they had a Red Box DVD dispenser so I have a good movie to watch later and then……around the corner imagine my delight when I saw this sign!!!

oct12 021

Does not take a rocket scientist to guess what I am having with tea tonight!!!!

 

So everything turned out OK the only small issues are it will a bit noisy tonight, the walk to the train station and I will have to leave tomorrow night when I come back from the city but these are not insurmountable!!!  The other thing is that I was going to go back into the city again on Friday but perhaps will not do that now!!

PURA VIDA!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...