Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wednesday 31st March 2011………the last beach day till November!!!!

I noticed the last time I gassed up that the outside dual wheel tire at the rear was split in two places on the side wall…

tire 001this was not a good situation and I needed to get to a tire repair shop.  My plan all along has been to replace all the tires when I get back into the USA but it looked like I was going to have to do something sooner here…..I have such wonderful and knowledgeable friends and Rob, who has a similar motorhome who is in SMA at this time e mailed me to suggest that instead of paying for a new tire why don’t I swap the spare with the damages wheel……I honestly had not thought of this ….this morning started off at 9am here

mar31 003

where Ramona had an oil and filter change…I had brought the oil and filter with me from Canada so they did the change and did a quick grease job……now remember here we are talking just over 12 pesos to the dollar…….total coast for change 110 pesos!!!!!!!

next stop was the tire store

mar31 004

mar31 005

So what these smart men did was remove the spare wheel and finding that the rim was smaller and different to the rear damaged wheel so they took the tire of the spare and replaced the damaged tire with this one!!!!!!

So they balanced the new tire and made sure it was safely in place

mar31 007

then put the spare one back and in 45 minutes I was ready to go…you are not going to believe this!!!!!    160 pesos…I love Mexico!!!!

I really cannot come to terms to having all this work done oil change and tires for just about 23 dollars!!!

I then went into town to check out the small market

mar31 008

Quite small compared to the market in SMA

mar31 010

I then had arranged to meet Joy and Colin and Maggie and Dan at the beach at the far end of town

mar31 011

mar31 012

mar31 013

I took my boogie board and Joy managed these photos after I had survived the 40 feet waves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mar31 019

mar31 021

I then handed the board over to the real Pros….

mar31 024

mar31 027

I lent the board to these boys and two hours later they returned  it and never left the water once reminded of the times I took Paola and Daniela to the hot pools they would never leave the water!!!!

mar31 032

After all that hard work I needed a cool one!!!

mar31 033

relax Janet (my lovely Sister in Law) that is a beer BUT I am not drinking it!!!!!!

It was a lovey send off for my last dip till November….said my goodbyes to buddies I will see Joy and Colin in July when I pass their way, Niagara Falls. on my epic journey.

Came back to the park and did some work getting Ramona ready and then went back into town as I treated myself to a one hour massage…..

mar31 034

These Photos may be disturbing to some readers!!!!!!

 

 

 

mar31 037

 

mar31 038

Mally { my Brother} are you having flashbacks????????

Cost of the great massage 200 pesos!!!

 

So not a bad day!!!!!

This could be my last post for quite a while but keep checking back….

The plan is to leave here tomorrow heading north passing through Puerta Valllarta, Mazatlan and to Los Mochis where I turn in land for El Fuerte and I hope to be there by Monday afternoon.

In El Furte I leave Ramona for about 5 days and take the train into the Copper Canyon to Creel where i will stay for a couple of days and do some hiking into the canyon.

Back to El furte on the train and then cross the border into the USA around the 10th April…I am not taking my lap top and I am sure Internet will be hard to find so don’t worry I will get in touch when I can……be well and happy Les

 

Map picture
Map picture

If you Google Copper Canyon it is quite an interesting read!!

4 comments:

Michael Kane said...

So what are you doing now? Are you heading back up north after Copper Canyon? You come down each winter to stay in Mexico? I enjoyed reading your posts.

Croft said...

Tough luck with the tire Les but you did exactly the right thing! I know you are getting new tires before you get home so you might consider
Les Schuab Tire stores in Oregon. Excellent dealer and no taxes.

Pairing the new spare with the worn tire on the same axle means one tire is larger than the other (as much as 1/2 inch) and will therefore be carrying most of the load. Not a huge problem for the short run to Oregon but not a long term solution.

I had the same problem after I clipped a curb making a turn in Mexico.

mexicokid said...

Michael...Back to vancouver Island for easter before I leave on the epic journey to Eastern Canada, the eastern Seaboard of USA and back into Mexico again....Croft i e mailed you cheers

Kevin Read said...

Have a great trip in the Canyon, look forward to the posts about it. We used Les Schuab in Washington. They were good but on our third day with them we drove over something and got a puncture in California and because they don't have stores there they won't do anything for us. Just something to keep in mind.

Kevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...