Monday, August 02, 2010

Monday 2nd August 2010….a wonderful weekend!!!!

This will be a bit long so maybe a coffee will be needed…..we left Duncan on Friday morning and drove to Chemainus for our kayak trip to Wallace Island.

camping 084

Sara had done a really amazing job getting everything ready but I seriously doubted her sanity when she told me we would get all this

camping 001

in these two small kayaks……I should never ever doubt her!!!

camping 003

We set off in brilliant sunshine and the kayaking was quite easy..

camping 006

camping 011

Saw this beauty…

camping 013 We stopped on Tent Island for lunch then continued to Wallace Island and  lovely camp site, small but right on the water.  We were happy when we entered the small bay and found the spot unoccupied!!!

The before

camping 017

and after photos!!!

camping 018

camping 021

It took maybe one hour to get camp set up and the tranquil view was amazing…

camping 019

camping 020

Not  a bad spot???

Soon our neighbours came to make themselves known….

camping 029 

 camping 026

 

The cost 5 dollars per person per night, so this was our home for two nights.

Sara cooked a delicious soup for supper…

camping 041

camping 042

And like any good man I know my place…

camping 044

The first day was just a great experience…we went for a walk on the island to the north end and was a little late for the sunset!!

camping 058

camping 056

camping 067

Back at camp our friend came a calling with her babies!!!!

camping 068

We had a good sleep and woke up to sunshine and again Sara was a wow in the kitchen, blueberry pancakes!!!

camping 077

We decided to walk the length of the island in the opposite direction to last night…some of the sights we saw!!

camping 078

camping 079

camping 082

camping 085

camping 086

camping 090

As you can see an interesting place..

camping 102

camping 106

camping 097

The walk was about three hours we then came home and went out onto the spit and basked in the sun and of course Sara basked in beating me at Scrabble, dice and Yahtzee…

Another short walk tea and an early night.

I woke up a little early and it was over caste and grey and cool but the sun was a brilliant red, unfortunately my camera could not capture the true beauty…

camping 110

camping 111

camping 112

I went for a walk and saw two friends…

camping 123

camping 122

After a great breakfast we started the process of packing up which took about 45 minutes and we were ready to head back to Chemainus…again being the perfect gentleman I made sure Sara was safely in her kayak, spray skirt fixed and away she went into the bay to wait for me.  I meticulously packed everything onto my kayak and fixed my spray skirt sure not to drip water from my feet into the cockpit, pushed off and realized the kayak works much better if you have these in your hands!!!!!

camping 135 So hand paddle back to shore to retrieve the said item and I had to confess when Sara said what took you so long!!!!!

 

On the way back we took a small detour for this sight..

camping 130

camping 132

We stopped again on Tent island for lunch and the usual ritual of me getting beat again!!!

camping 134

We arrived back in Duncan around 6pm last night and for my first time kayaking and camping it was a memorable joy.  I must congratulate Sara she did all the food prep and packing lists and forgot nothing….

We were planning to go on another trip later on in the week but the weather does not look good….so chores around the house….

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...