Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tuesday 13th July 2010…an epic climb!!!!

The forecast for today was a good one and I have wanted to see if I can climb here…

iskut9 001 I was told yesterday by the man than lent me the bear spray to be super aware and I could get to the top.  He gave me instructions to get on the right path but said it was not a clearly marked path.

I loaded up my back pack with lots of food, water, jacket and for safety the bear spray, a stick and the wind chimes as I had no bell.

iskut9 014 

I told Sara where I was going and only to start looking for me if I wasn’t back by 7 pm and off I went.

The first part was gravel and as I rounded the first corner this

fox

was standing right here!!!!!

iskut9 016 

The fox just stared me down for about 3 seconds then took off into the bush too quickly for me to get to my camera.

This is the stream where the hike starts

iskut9 002

 

iskut9 003 and off I go!!

The path was not very well marked at all

iskut9 011

and I was smart enough at intersections to leave markers on the trail….it was a steep and hard climb not sure what altitude I was at but I found myself breathing rather hard.

iskut9 010

Soon rewarded with this view

iskut9 006

iskut9 007

I climbed steadily for over 2 hours and realized that I was not going to make the summit and then the trail abruptly stopped.

iskut9 008 I could see where I wanted to go but could not find a way…I sat and had some food and drink and decided all the factors and that it would be a wise choice to start to head back.

It was a good job to mark the trail because I did get lost…but I just retraced my steps back to the last marker and found the right path again….view on the way back.

iskut9 009

It was much easier and faster coming back down

iskut9 012

iskut9 013

Just over 5 hours later I was back at the bridge where I started.

It was a good workout and a little challenging but I was happy I tried.

Sara was on call again and of course the one call came in just after we were asleep around mid night…….

3 comments:

Renee and Peter .... said...

I have been reading your blog for about a year now & I thought it was time to "own up" and say how much I enjoy "traveling with you and Sara"....albeit vicariously! I love being able to "see" all the places & countries you explore...with "tongue in cheek" commentary to boot! Love it! So a big thank you to both of you!

mexicokid said...

You are so welcome and thank you for the kind comments I have been doing this for over four years now and it was initially for my family to follow but I know I am lucky to have many readers and that makes me happy I try to keep it light and I am just amazed at this beautiful world we live in and there is still so much I want to see and do... of course my life turned upside down last year when I met Sara and WOW...what a change for me.. she is adorable and a great travelling companion even if she beats the heck out of me at every game...best wishes Les

living.boondockingmexico said...

Great pictures Les. I bet the weather is great. Here, 37C, 25C with 94% humidity in the mornings. Arrggg!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...