Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday 14th April…Gob smacked!!

You will see why I use this word later.

This is the meaning:

It’s a fairly recent British slang term: the first recorded use is only in the eighties, though verbal use must surely go back further. The usual form is gobsmacked, though gobstruck is also found. It’s a combination of gob, mouth, and smacked. It means “utterly astonished, astounded”. It’s much stronger than just being surprised; it’s used for something that leaves you speechless, or otherwise stops you dead in your tracks. It suggests that something is as surprising as being suddenly hit in the face. It comes from northern dialect, most probably popularised through television programmes set in Liverpool, where it was common. It’s an obvious derivation of an existing term, since gob, originally from Scotland and the north of England, has been a dialect and slang term for the mouth for four hundred years (often in insulting phrases like “shut your gob!” to tell somebody to be quiet). It possibly goes back to the Scottish Gaelic word meaning a beak or a mouth, which has also bequeathed us the verb to gob, meaning to spit. Another form of the word is gab, from which we get gift of the gab.

Another plug for www.frugal-rv-travel.com   if you are travelling through Arizona, Utah, New Mexico or Texas and you don’t check this website first you will regret it.  I have saved many dollars and saw things I would never had seen.

It seems the baby contest got some people rattled so I shall let you be the judge!!

Scan0031

I love my Mamma but why she put me in a dress I shall NEVER know!!!

Now do I deserve the cheese dish?

Ok enough back to today….had a great sleep till 8.30am, must be all that hiking.  Back on the roadIMG_6409

IMG_6415

again incredible views.IMG_6416

My destination is

IMG_6497

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is a six mile round trip hike.IMG_6516

This is where the word Gob smacked is appropriate no need for commentary from me just enjoy the hike.IMG_6428 IMG_6430

IMG_6434

IMG_6436

IMG_6442

IMG_6452

IMG_6455

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6458

IMG_6463

The first view of the waterfall.

IMG_6475

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6476

IMG_6482 IMG_6485

IMG_6487

This rates as one of the best hikes I have been privileged to do.  Just awesome…..how fitting that this is the last hike for me this trip and what a way to finish up.

Cannot let this go without telling you about these two folks.

IMG_6496Now I know we are all different and I have no idea of their circumstances but you can see they are well equipped for hiking and they followed me up the trail.

When I got to the waterfall,  about 10 minutes before them,  I stopped had lunch and just sat and marvelled at the incredible beauty of this earth and how fortunate I am to be able to see so much.

Anyway when these two folks arrived at the waterfall, I swear this is the honest truth, they looked and turned right around and walked back and this is them as I caught them up in the parking lot.  Could they not have stopped for a minute, taken a photo, marvel at the creation???

Anyway enough about that..back on that beautiful Highway 12 again…IMG_6503

IMG_6506

IMG_6508

IMG_6504

If you check on that map from two days ago I am staying the night in a lovely RV park in Torrey at the end of Highway 12.IMG_6515

IMG_6514

Tomorrow I start the long journey home and I shall stay in a Wal-Mart outside of Salt lake City tomorrow night and then Thursday morning head into SLC where I have a reservation at an RV park 2 miles from the city centre.  I plan to spend Thursday afternoon and evening in the city and the finale is going to listen to the  Tabernacle choir on Thursday evening. 

Friday I head home and it will be three hard days of driving, make a change from hiking.  I hope to be home late Sunday evening or Monday afternoon.

I shall post again Thursday night, take care……

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...