Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday 13th February…not a frightening day..

Decided this morning to walk into town which took about 25 minutes, nice views on the way in.IMG_4025

IMG_4027

IMG_4026

IMG_4028

This is taken from a pier looking back at the Malecon.IMG_4030

Some of the streets are pedestrian only, a goodIMG_4031  idea for all towns I think.

IMG_4032

IMG_4034

 

 

 

 

 

 

Enjoyed getting myself used to the down town and then walked back and arrived just in time to make lunch. 

I felt lazy so got myself packed up and went down to the beach again.  Did do my run then slept and read and swam and managed not to get impaled by any flying beach umbrellas.

This evening after supper and now I am sitting outside, no bugs, listening to the Canucks on the computer and life is good.

Now let me set you up for tomorrow, Valentines Day is a very special day for me because of my Mum, more on that tomorrow,  but it is also a big day in the soccer world in England.

It is day when teams contest for the coveted F.A. Cup, similar to the Stanley Cup of hockey.  The draw has been made and Hull City, The Tigers, are playing Sheffield United, The Blades.

soccer-wallpaper_hull-city-logo-badge-crest_04_800x600

sheffutdovalblades

First some back ground information…from the age of 10 years I was raised in Sheffield and the Blades were my team.  I went to watch their games and my dream was to play for them one day.  I was a pretty good football player and progressed up the ranks but clearly I would never make it to the professional ranks.  This is when I chose the Police Force as a career and I did get to attend the games but working as a Police man on crowd control and not on the field of play.

I have supported this team for nearly 50 years and have followed their progress up and down the leagues in England, they currently are in the division which is one down from the Premier League.

My brother, who if he doesn’t e mail me soon will be out of my will, and his family have lived in a small village close to Hull and they have supported The Tigers for nearly 30 years.  This year was a huge year for their team as for the first time in their history were promoted to the top league, the Premier League.

Well the two teams have been drawn to play each other tomorrow in  a knock out game at the home of the Blades.

Two years ago I sort made a change of allegiance to cheer for the Tigers and have been doing so but for this game tomorrow I have to revert back to being a Blades fan.

So you can see that family pride is at stake here and the Pearson brothers go head to head.  Stay tuned for tomorrow’s result and the eating of humble pie.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...