Wednesday, April 02, 2008

9pm on Monday 1st April and hard for me to believe that April is here already and I shall be home in 3 weeks.

Romana and I are in a very secluded campground at the Chiricahua National Monument, close to Willcox in southern Arizona. Came from Texas this morning through New Mexico and into Arizona this afternoon. I arrived in time to just park Ramona and go on a 4 mile hike through the small canyon and get back before dark.

The Chiricahua National Monument origins began 27 million years ago when volcanic eruptions spewed ash over the rocks and through out the years the erosion and weather patterns have formed these incredible rocks. This is Apache country and they named the pinnacles the “standing up rocks”. The rock pinnacles loom over the forests and it was truly an amazing hike.

In some ways the formations reminded me of the Tent Rocks National Park outside of Santa Fe that I toured last April. The campground is spotless and very well organized and about another 12 people are camped here.

I travel on to just outside Phoenix tomorrow and hope to visit another State park on the way just haven’t yet decided which route I am going to take.

Of course the heading for the following photos should read Tuesday April 1st!!!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...