Friday, March 07, 2008

It is Tuesday evening but I don’t have Internet connection so will try to post this tomorrow.

Another glorious day in paradise. Malc and I decided to take another easy day so this morning after breakfast we took another long walk on the beach but in the direction away from town and it was really nice, the water is so warm and we just talked and looked at all the houses, the hotels and the tourists on the beach and Janet if a nice looking young lady came by I made sure that Malc was blocked from the view or if he glanced a peek I slapped him!!!! I think round trip it was about 4 miles.

Malc wanted to listen to a live broadcast of his soccer team via the computer this afternoon (I cannot stand these sports nuts!!) so I dozed and read and listened to him saying “Go tigers” or “Yea another goal” and then I went snorkelling for a while.

We then showered and changed and decided to walk to town on the beach and then have supper, which we did and it was a very good meal. Of course after that we had to find the local ice cream shop and then took a taxi home.

Another game of scrabble and now he is snoring away and I am so happy for him. We had a great day.

The photos are of course of the two Pearson boys not bad I don’t think for old timers. The local church and the two fingers are for the two games of scrabble I won. I asked him to take another picture after the game, but sore loser he only took my fingers!!!!

We have a full day planned tomorrow, we have booked a tour to a Theme type park resort leaving at 8am and not getting back till 10pm. The brochure tells me there is an underground river where you can snorkel, botanical gardens (Culture Janet) a small ruin, zoo, swimming under the reefs, food and then in the evening a spectacular Mexican folklore and ballet type show, it sounds like a good fun day. Then Thursday we start out on our adventure tour.

Wish you all a great day, blessings

It is now 11.30pm Wednesday evening and again without Internet connection. Well Malc and I had a full day today we went on a tour to a place called Excaret which I suppose is a Mexican version, to a small degree, of a Disney world. We left at 8am this morning to be picked up by a tour bus and we didn’t get back till 10pm.

It was a really interesting day and we both agreed that we were glad we had gone but it is nothing that we would do again. First of all it was very expensive and then it seemed that all the activities that you could do would be extra charges but having said that it was a great experience. We saw many animals in their native habitat, toured an Orchid Farm, a butterfly sanctuary, and went on a jungle tour, a river raft, saw a Maya church and burial ground. We both then went on a float through an underground river and finally had a sumptuous buffet meal and then the highlight of the day was a 2 hour music and cultural festival depicting the life of the Maya’s from their beginning till the arrival of the Spanish to modern day. The show was spectacular and very well orchestrated. By the time we got home we were both tired but we did play a game of scrabble and I have to eat humble pie because the Bro’ won his first game and quite easily if I may say so.

So we have had a good few days here and tomorrow it is time for us to start our inland trip, hopefully I can post this before we leave in the morning if not, don’t worry we haven’t disappeared, take care Les.

Now it is 11.30pm Thursday night and again without Internet connection but I have promised Malc that tomorrow morning we would find a connection and check our e mails and update the blog.. OK be honest here now how many of you have missed us????

Today was a special day it was the first Maya ruin for Malc and one of the listed big 4. We spent the morning after breaking camp getting supplies and Ramona a make over and bath, touring the famous sight of Tulum. This site is not as majestic or as grand as the others, although I thought pretty impressive, what gives this one so much exposure is the location. It sits high on the cliffs overlooking a fabulous white beach and a turquoise ocean. The views all around can only be described as spectacular and it is hard not to imagine the Spanish invaders sailing by these wonderful waters and seeing this incredible fortress on the banks of the cliff. As expected the tourists were by the hundreds but it was still possible to get a sense of isolation and try to imagine how these people lived here all those years ago and how their lives might have been. It was a pretty special afternoon.

We then drove about 100 kms to our campsite tonight. We are in a parking lot of a restaurant close to the town Valladolid. The setting is very nice with a small pool, a lovely little church and nice gardens. We are going to explore the town in the morning and then drive another 150 kms to the colonial city of Merida and spend the weekend there.

Hope you enjoy the photos of the ruins of Tulum as much as we enjoyed taking them.

My brother was very brave this evening, this campsite only has cold-water showers and there he was braving the elements.

You can see why I have won 3 games of scrabble; I look so studious in my Elton Pearson glasses!!!

Pura Vida..

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...