Saturday, March 15, 2008

Isla Mujeres has a rich history filled with pirates and marauding buccaneers. As the story goes in 1517 a Spanish butcher by the name of Francisco Hermandez de Cordoba happened upon the island searching for slaves for Cuban mines, the Spanish already in the process of decimated the indigenous population of that island. Unfortunately the slavers found nothing but old statues which they perceived to be statues of women, thus the name of the island, "Isle of Women".

According to Mayan legend the island was used for traditional Mayan fertility ceremonies and there are Mayans alive today who can tell stories told to them by their Grandparents about the Spanish invasion of the Island and surrounding areas however little else is known.

In recent times the island was populated by fishermen until the building of Cancun which opened up opportunity for growth however the island still remains quaint while most of the building takes place on the Mayan Riviera.

What a great day we had yesterday this Island reminds me a little bit of Salt Spring Island ( this is a small island close to my home).

The ferry ride took about 15 minutes and cost 35 pesos, just over 3 dollars. Once on the island we hired a golf cart for the whole day and I think we covered every inch of the island. I let Malc drive for a while but he morphed into a formula one race car driver!!!!!

There were just so many interesting places and beautiful sights and we finished off the day with a refreshing swim, followed by supper and home by 8pm. Malc and I both agreed it was a special day.

The big scrabble game I am happy to say was won by yours truly so what a neat climax to Malc's holiday, score tied 7 - 7 and the last game tonight. I am sure we will both have our game faces on!!!!

Our last day today we are going to go into Cancun and look around. I want to wish you all a great weekend.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...