Thursday, March 13, 2008

First of all I want to apologize to my good friend Chris who is putting my blog into a book form and I know these last few days have been difficult with me not having Internet access and not being able to post the photos and using other computers. This is the longest time I have gone without Internet and I do miss it, so sorry Chris!!

I shall try and fill you in on our wanderings since I last posted except without the Internet I cannot remember what my last post was..
After spending Monday at the Uxmal ruins we drove to Celestun which is on the Gulf of Mexico and boon docked in the parking lot of the tour boats. It was a very quiet and secure place to park and Tuesday morning after breakfast, did you know that Malc has the same thing for breakfast every morning, corn flakes, 3 slices of toast and tea!!, we took a tour in a small boat to the estuary where hundreds of flamingos congregate, it is a nature reserve and I have never seen so many flamingos, they are so graceful and yet when they start to fly they look like the road runner, their skinny legs go flapping in the water until they get airborne, then they have a super aerodynamic form. On the way back we stopped at a Cenote (an underground well) where I braved the cold water and had a swim. The tour was really interesting and we both enjoyed some more culture, JANET are you reading this!!!!!

Later that day we drove to a lovely gem of a town Izamal, about 70 kms from Merida. I had read about this town and wanted to visit. Apparently the Pope came to visit here in 1993 and the local authority decided to spruce up the town by painting all the downtown buildings yellow. It is also famous for having the second largest atrium in the church, behind St.Peter’s Basilica in Rome.

We parked outside of town and walked into the centre and the yellow buildings were quite funny, they were everywhere. Again from my guidebook I found a B & B and they allowed us to park outside on the road, in a very quiet area. We took a local taxi back to where we had parked Ramona, but it was a bike!!!! What a fun ride that was. We then drove Ramona to the B & B and parked her and then went and had a lovely supper in the B & B.

There was a light and sound show at the convent in the town plaza that evening and we went and it was pretty special to see this huge building lit up and the story of the town was very interesting. The only damper on the evening was that I got absolutely hammered at scrabble and am now behind 6 games to 5!!!!!

After a good sleep we walked back into town and took a horse and buggy ride around the town, never done that before. The town is really entertaining within the city are many small Maya ruins and the yellow buildings begin to look so much a like after a while. This was a great stop and one we both really enjoyed.

It is now Wednesday evening and we are camped in the large field behind a small hotel in Piste, which is where the Chichen Itza ruins are located, these ruins are reputed to be the finest in Mexico. We set up camp in the afternoon and then after a few domestic duties, me washing my bro’s undies again, we had supper and walked to the ruins for the light and sound show. Again another spectacular sight but we both thought that perhaps they could have done with a little more pomp and ceremony in the show. The ruins look really lovely and we are anxious to visit them in the morning after which we are heading to Cancun for the final three days of Malc’s holiday although if he keeps on beating me at scrabble he will find himself at the airport about 24 hours before his flight. Yes he beat me again tonight and now is up by 2 games. We Pearson’s are not happy losers!!

I am hoping at the camp ground in Cancun tomorrow we will have Internet so I can post. Hands up those who missed the blog??

Have a great day, blessings…

PS. We are now in the camp ground in Cancun and have Internet!!! So will update the blog with all the photos this evening…..Les

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...