Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It is Monday evening and again I am not close to wifi this will get posted at a later date. Before I left San Cristo this morning I decided to treat myself to a Thai massage. During my walk through the small side streets I saw a sign posted and went to the house and it was a young Swiss woman and I booked for a 2 hour massage this morning, the cost was 200 pesos about 18 dollars.

It was my first experience of a Thai massage and I have never been pulled, stretched, walked on and twisted in so many directions in my life. I shall have to defer my judgement on it till later but afterwards I did feel quite good and I even felt taller!!

Leaving the camp ground and going back through the centre of town was a little daunting but I do feel after my encounter of a couple of nights ago much more confident in close quarters with Ramona.

I found my way to the road heading to my next stop and my first ruins called Tonina just outside a town called Ocosingo. In my book this is listed as 90 kms of twisty roads with many Topes (remember those nasty speed bumps). Well the book was right I lost track at over 200 Topes and they were in the most unusual places and not many of them marked. So needless to say it was a slow journey, but I am not in a hurry.

I had been told there was a place to park at a restaurant close to the entrance to the ruins and I arrived about 5pm and got Ramona parked in a very lush field with beautiful vistas and only yards to the entrance to the ruins.

I am pretty excited about seeing my first ruins and plan to be there when they open at 8am and enjoy them all to myself.

Two things of note I passed through many small villages today and they are so completely different, all Indian villages, many of the people on the side of the road in their colourful attire, many women carrying everything from pots and firewood on a rope around their foreheads and when you drive through the towns they don’t look at you and just seem to be content to go about their daily life.

The other little point to mention is to tell you how incredibly lucky I am and there is someone watching over me. I carry a 5-gallon jug on board for my fresh drinking water and when I left this morning it was empty but I knew or thought I knew, I would see one of the many trucks that go around selling the jugs. In the past I have bought from them lots. Well I didn’t see one and as I was approaching Ocosingo I knew I had to get water before I left the turn off for the ruins. So I parked Ramona in a small pull off about 400 yards outside of town and got out and was going to walk into town to see if I could locate a store or a water depot. I kid you not I got out locked the door and turned to walk into town and what was passing by me at that exact moment, you got it, a water truck. I waved him over and the man and his son stopped I gave him my empty bottle and the young kid carried the full one and put it on the floor of Ramona, the cost 10 pesos and the same tip for the kid. It really is so great that all these good things happen to me.

Ok now time for tea, cookies, cannot beat these Mexican cookies with the white icing!!!! Then to watch a movie…best wishes to all

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...