Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 
 
 
 
These are the photos of my afternoon boat trip to the island of Janitzio, about 30 minutes from town. Of course entertainment is provided and the statue overlooking the island is a priest turned freedom fighter caleed Jose Maria Morelos. I climbed up inside the statue and then up onto the arm and it was quiet a view. I just liked the cloud formation on the last photo.




For the first time I am going to dis-agree with all the guide books. They all quote that Patzcuaro is one of the most beautiful cities in Mexico but for me I just did not get the feel for the town. Where the rv park is beautiful and the walk down to the lake is also very pleasant but I did find the walk into the town centre to be quite dirty, broken down buildings and a feel of dispair about it all. The centre was not the most pleasant I have seen and there was much hustle and bustle and many market stalls. The buildings here also I found to be a little run down. It may have been me, my mood or just not long enough in town but I certainly would not even put it in the same class as the town of San Miguel.
I enjoyed the walk to the lake in the afternoon and the boat ride over to the island but again this I found to be run down. From the boat upto the statue was a climb passing many small cheap and tacky stores and here I found it all quite depressing. I was on of few gringo's the majority of the people were Mexicans.
I really don't like to put down a community but lets just say that it won't be put on my list of return to places.

I leave in the morning for two days of driving and I am heading for the town of Barra de Navidad for a few days of visiting friends and being a beach bum, this is the town where I spent three months last winter, so I know it well. I will post maybe thursday if I find wifi. Take care and Pura Vida.....
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...