Thursday, January 24, 2008

Got an early start this morning and before I head down to the toll main highway to the west coast I wanted to take in a couple of Archaeological sights and an old town.

The first town I went to were the ruins at Tzintzuntzan (and no I cannot pronounce this one). I know that when I hit the Yucatan in March I will see unbelievable ruins but these did wet my appetite. What was so cool was that I was here at 9am in the morning and I was the only one around. I must say the sites were very well maintained and for me seeing them in the peace and quiet my imagination would run away and I could visualize what I think life may have been like over 500 years ago.

The next town was called Quiroga and this was a typical busy little town with everything centred on the plaza and the church. I have learned now that I do not drive into these small towns but park a little bit out and walk in. This time I did this and saw a lot of space by a small taco stand. I asked permission to park and off I went into town, imagine my horror when I came back and saw Ramona surrounded by vehicles whose occupants were eating at the taco stand, oh well, just waited for them to move. Another moving event happened to me when I went into the church, there at the doorway was a wizened old Mexican Indian lady handing out candles, I left a donation and took the candle and went inside the church which was quite stunning.

The third stop and the best adventure was finding the ruins at Ihuatzio, I am well aware now that the Mexican road signs are great until they stop showing up and you have to guess which direction to go. Well this site proved to be quite hard to get to and when I did I realized I was in big trouble as the road was cobbled and narrow and long and with only a very small entrance in which maybe I could turn around, remember I said maybe!!
These ruins were again very interesting and again I was the only one there. I look in awe at the technology and resources used all those years ago to construct such magnificent buildings.

Lets just say it took me a while to turn Ramona around!!! I then I was off to the big toll roads. Some on the scenery along this road reminds me a little of the central British Columbia lakes and mountains.

It was a long hard day of driving and around 5.30pm I decided to stop for the night and found this little town Playa Azul and at one of the hotels a small RV park is in the back, quite rustic but adequate for one night and very close to the ocean and I had my first swim!!!!

Tomorrow is another long day of driving about 7 hours on small roads with plenty of traffic, good job I am not in a hurry and hopefully tomorrow night I shall be in Melaque where for 8 days this Pearson boy is going to be a beach BUM!! Blessings and Pura Vida

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...