Sunday, December 23, 2007

The bog is going to be a day behind but this is the report of my drive from Puerto Pensacola to Alamos, where I am now.
I left on Saturday morning at 8am and the first two hours were on small narrow roads with a few pots holes and there was one military checkpoint, where I was stopped and had to show my tourist visa and away I went. Once I hit the main Mexican Highway 15, which goes all the way down the west coast. This road is a mainly toll road which I take instead of the free roads which are usually in bad repair.
I had to go through the big city of Hermisillo and it was a little difficult, not knowing which lane to be in but made it OK. The road is 4 lanes, 2 each way and in good repair and really just like driving on the interstates in the USA. I set the cruise to about 88kms. And just move along without a big rush. I must say the drivers are absolutely nutty and they do not like to wait in line-ups. At the toll booths there were many line ups and they come up on the side of you just forcing you to stop and wait for them, I am used to it and just shrug and think to myself, go ahead!
One sad feature and disturbing to me was at the line-ups there are many kids come begging up to the vehicles, the parents are at the side of the road watching. I tried giving a couple of biscuits to then but when I did that they all came running up and all over Ramona and trying to get inside, so I learned at the next one not even to make eye contact, but it did bother me.
Just some photos taken on the road, I have never seen so many SUV and vans with luggage on the top and tied to the back.
It was a long driving day nearly 400 miles and it was my intention the first night to park in the back of one of the big Pemex gas stations but as it was getting dark the first two gas stations didn’t just look right to me, so I continued on even though it was dark. The rule of thumb is not to drive at might because of animals and people on the road but as I was on a highway with a lot of traffic I did and it worked out all right. I did find a large gas station with lots of room in the back and I asked the attendant permission to park and gave him a tip and he said it was no problem. So I parked way in the back there was a few trucks there and I felt very safe.
I had a shower, ate supper and watched a movie and was in bed by 11.30pm and didn’t wake up till 8am this morning.
I was surprised that in all that driving yesterday I only saw one other motor home I thought I would have seen hundreds.
TOPES!! This is the undercarriage ripper upper, topes are speed bumps that I must stop and go over slowly they are usually marked but of course not always I passed one that I saw at the last minute and was slow enough. Usually in small towns there is one at each end of town and one in the middle, just have to be so aware of them in small towns because the signs get torn down.
Today left at 9am for about 100 miles drive to Alamos where I arrived around d noon. Found the park and all settled in, Ramona looks nice in the trees! Had a quick walk around town and it looks lovely. As Sunday night is the big night I am going into the plaza tonight and check out the action, best wishes

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...