Monday, November 05, 2007

You will need sustenance for this......What a day I don't know where to begin....first of all I want to congratulate all these tour companies they are where they are when they are supposed to be. Was picked up outside my hotel at 10am this morning and with another dozen people from different hotels off we went to the Canopy Safari it was everything I dreamed of but what made it extra special was the young man who was our guide he taught us so much about the life here, the trees, the animals I shall try to impart some of this. First let me go through and try and tell you about each photo, OK here goes in order:

This palm is called the walking palm see the roots, the palm actually moves about 2 inches per year.
Look really close and double click on the toucan
same with the squirrel monkey(Mary this is for you!!!!)
African oil palm, this palm is a big crop in this part of C.R. and the oil from the plants that grown on this palm are used for many hair shampoo, chocolate and sun tan oil.
Rice fields, never thought about cultivating rice in this country but in the rice fields around here they produce 30% of the rice consumed locally.
Eucalyptus tree.
Not in the photos but we stopped at a huge forest of teak trees, we all know about the dark hard wood but did you know......wait for it.....we took a leaf off the tree and we rubbed and squished it in between our fingers and this dark red dye like substance came off on our fingers....this is the dye they use in making henna tattoos..
Oxen were working bringing the plants from the African palm tree to the factory.

Then pictures of the adventures..
please double click on the lizard, not being too head swelling but isn't this an amazing photograph???

Then down town Quepos with the proverbial 3's...Church, school and soccer field''


NANAIMO BARS!!!!!!!!! This is the town where I live which is famous for these bars BUT who would have thought the fame would have spread to Quepos!!!!!

Well the trip was great after a safety lecture and the signing of the worthless waiver we were strapped up and ventured onto the first zip line, what a thrill, we had 9 zip lines. We rappelled down about 100 feet twice that was a blast, the suspension bridge and the Tarzan swing. That close up photo of me is taken by me whilst winging down this zip line. There was a photographer there and I bought the CD haven't seen it yet but if I can down load from that I will.

It was just such an interesting day the guides were very funny and very proud of their country and full of great information...

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...