Monday, October 29, 2007












No wonder I couldn't find the town I was spelling it wrong it is Santa Ana and after two buses I arrived at the centre of town. The bus system is really well maintained and there are lots of buses and from the house right to the centre of down town San Jose is only 270 colonies. As per usual in these small towns the soccer field is located`right next to the church. The doors to the church were open and inside was a lady who was sweeping the floors, she was very pleasant and spoke the odd word of English to go along with my Spanglish. She said it was OK for me take photos and she also told me the church was over 100 years old. I thanked her took some photos and left and crossed the street and was starting to walk back down towards the centre of town when I heard this voice shouting and pretty soon the lady from the church had crossed the street coming towards me and it was obvious she was making her way straight to me. I wondered if I had committed some act of impropriety but no she simply wanted to give the local small newspaper which had a picture of the church in it, such kind people.
I tried to capture some of the streets and traffic and busyness of this town then made my way to the bus stop for the return leg of the journey. I had to catch a smaller bus to the highway where I would catch the regular bus home. On this first small bus I presumed the fare was the same 270 colonies which I gave to the driver, he just smiled at me and asked me where I was going, I tried to tell him and he handed me back 170 colonies. As this was a first time for me I was sort of losing my bearings but the bus came to a stop and the driver pointed to where I was to go for the next bus and I got off.

Two small kindnesses bestowed upon me from complete strangers I wonder sometimes if this would happen in my own town by local people encountering someone from a different country not speaking the language, I do hope so...

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...