Friday, August 10, 2007

MY FIRST NIGHT>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ramona Valeda and I spent our first of many nights together and I have to say it was a good one with no problems. I left Nanaimo yesterday morning and the ferry that I wanted to take from Duke Point and then down to the border was full so I had to leave from Departure Bay and drive through down town Vancouver. This seemed like a daunting task but one I would have to face eventually so I went for it and it really was a non issue, obviously I am driving a much bigger, wider and heavier vehicle than my van, so I am more cautious and drive slower but it was easy. At the Peace Arch border the radio was warning 2 hour delays going into the States, except when you have been smart enough last year to apply for and receive a NEXUS card ( this is a card that when approved after many background checks, fingerprints, etc the card holders are issued a card and use a special line with no line ups) I was through without a wait and away I went. Ramona does have one issue, she has a drinking problem!!!!! I have suggested to her that she may want to attend some meetings but I know this is something she needs to do on her own. Gas here is 35 cents a litre cheaper than home so although she consumes a lot of gas the price is more reasonable and I knew this before I started this life style and it is something I am not going to give a second thought to, when she is thirsty she gets watered or gassed!!!!I had a good afternoon in the States did some shopping and went back to the dealership where I bought her and had a couple of small problems attended to. I then went to a State park to stay for the night but it just didn’t look that great, yes it was situated on a nice lake but the stalls were close together and it was not a place I was comfortable with, plus it was 25 dollars for one night. When I go on my second journey of a life time for this winter I am a member of Passport of America a camping club which offers half price stay at thousands of camp grounds, I shall use this a lot plus I want to stay out of camp grounds a lot too by rivers, canyons etc , in the RV business they call this “boon docking”. Also when just going from point A to point B you can stay in parking lots belonging to stores like Walmart, Costco, Cracker barrel. So I decided to drive close to where the soccer games are taking place and here there is a store Camping World. I had been here earlier and bought a few things and when I went back I asked if allowed to overnight in the parking lot ( always ask first) and they told me they have a small parking area at the back of the parking lot where not only could I stay but I could plug Ramona into power hook up and best of all there is no charge. So the pictures are where we spent our first night…It was just great having all these facilities bathroom, shower, micro/convection oven, three burner stove, radio, TV and all very comfortable. I cleaned up, ate and although there is a 20” TV and a satellite dish I am not hooked up but was able to watch a dvd….I do have to make up the bed and take in down every day, but what kind of a problem is that?? I slept really well, the foam mattress and memory foam work well. Showered and had breakfast and here I am….I do miss not being able to connect with the Internet when I want so I may look into a solution to that problem, in the mean time I have just typed this on Microsoft words and will copy and paste(Thanks nephew Andy for the lesson) and when I find Internet this morning post it. So there you are I know a bit long winded but wanted to share the first time with you all. This is going to be a lot of fun…..have to go the soccer pitch is awaiting me, best wishes to all..

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...