Tuesday, March 13, 2007







Today was my day off, not bad work one shift and get a day off, anyway I plan to visit somewhere different each time off, so today was to visit the birth place of Sam Houston, home of the world’s largest American war hero statue. It was a pleasant 45 minute drive and this statue is mighty, over 70 feet in height and made out of concrete, I hope you can read the inscription on the plate if not click on the picture and it should be enlarged, how true those words spoken all those years ago. Anyway this world’s largest thing got me to thinking (now I am even talking like a Texan), when I emigrated to Canada I finished up in a small town called Smoky Lake, about 70 miles from Edmonton and a friendly Ukrainian town it was, but what the local council and all small surrounding towns did was to decide that they were going to get on the map by becoming the town with the world’s biggest whatever!!!!! My town good old Smoky was the Pumpkin capital, another town boasted the world’s largest mushroom, another a Ukrainian ring of sausage and yet another an Easter Egg and they all had a huge model made and put out on the entry into town along with the town’s name. Fancy living in a town with its claim to fame being the world’s largest ring of Kubusa!!!!!! Anyway enjoyed the day came back in the afternoon and spent it in the activity room with the participants. After supper I found there is a small regular poker school going on for three hours each Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights, so I joined that and I won three large motor homes!!!!!!Just kidding the bet is 5 cents and about 12 of us, two tables, had a lot of fun. In Nanaimo for the last three years I have been involved with a great bunch of guys (but I would not admit this to their faces) playing poker every second week and I really enjoy those evenings, so now I shall enjoy these whilst I am here. Boy the days and weeks go by fast, hope everyone is well… Sorry I hit the publish button twice!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...